Here is the pre-reading for the Education Session on the Ambu aScope.
Objectives for the session:
1. Indications for endoscopic airway instrumentation
(1) looking at airways (eg. burns, FBs, stridor)
(2) awake fibreoptic intubation
(3) intubation through a supraglottic device following failed intubation
2. Discussion of recent cases
3. Patient preparation
4. Airway local anaesthetic topicalisation
5. Environment preparation
6. Use of the aScope
The aView Monitor:
One of the consultants got intubated by his registrars. It shows the challenge of topicalisation in a non-sedated patient who has not received an antisialogogue:
Further comments and reflection by the intubatee are documented here
The retrieval service (Greater Sydney Area HEMS) has been using the aScope for several years and has some useful aides-memoire and checklists available below.